평문

그래서, 그가 아름답다. / 김윤희

페이지 정보

작성자 studio 작성일16-09-17 15:37 조회1,927회 댓글0건

본문

소풍, A Picnic_ 한지에 수묵채색 36x74.5 cm 2003

김윤희 (포스코미술관 큐레이터)

“그림 왜 그리세요?”, “ 사람들에게… 힘이 되는 무언가를 하고 싶어서요..”

2003년 사월, 평범한 나의 일상은 의도하지 않은 크고 작은 말썽들로 무척 고단하고 힘들었다. 그야말로 잔인한 사월… 내 속에 가득 차오르는 불편한 심정으로는 김덕기를, 또 그의 그림을 온전히 느낄 수도, 읽을 수도 없을 것 만 같았다. 그의 그림은 꼭 착하고 이쁜 마음으로만 봐야 할거 같은 까닭 모를 중압감에, 맑고 고운 글귀들을 골라 읽거나 차분한 음악을 들으며 내 안의 혼란을 잠재우고자 애썼다. 하지만… 착각이었다. 정작 나의 불편한 마음을 다독이고 보듬어 준 것은 그의 그림들이었다. 점차 회복되는 내 속의 평화에 새삼 누군가 그를 “행복을 전달하는 화가”로 칭한 이유를 어렴풋이 알 거 같았다. 여린 감수성이 툭툭 묻어나는 김덕기 그림이 전해주는 삶의 이야기에서 힘이 되는 무언가를 얻어냈음에 감사한다.

단순한 선과 면, 밝고 경쾌한 색으로 빚어지는 맑고 투영한 감성의 세계, 이것이 김덕기의 그림이다. 전통적인 동양화가 주로 호방한 필치로 장대한 스케일의 자연을 담아내는 것과 달리 그는 서정적이고 은유적인 방식으로 ‘우리들의 소소한 일상’을 표현하고 있다. 예술가들에게 유독 척박한 토양을 지닌 대한민국에서 힘겹게 생존하고 있는 한 사람의 화가이자, 가정을 지닌 30대 중반의 가장, 바지런한 고등학교 미술 선생님으로 살아가고 있는 그의 모습이 우리네와 다르지 않듯이 사는 이야기 역시 ‘사람 사는 이야기’일 뿐이다.

“상상(想像)은 천상의 누각을 짓는 일이 아니라 판자촌을 천상의 누각으로 바꾸는 일이다 달동네를 달같이 아름다운 동네로 바꾸는 일이다.” 철학자 김용석 교수는 상상을 이렇게 정의한다. 예술의 진정한 존재가치가 무한한 작가적 상상력이 실제화된 작품을 통해 그것을 바라보는 이들로 하여금 새로운 상상력을 유발 시키는 것에 있는 것이라면, 사람 사는 이야기일 뿐인 김덕기 예술의 상상력은 무엇일까.

양파를 그리더라도 눈에 보이는 양파가 아닌 그것을 키운 농부의 마음을 함께 느끼고 그리도록 애쓰라는 스승님의 말씀을 아직도 가슴깊이 새긴다는 김덕기의 그림 속 대상들은 하나같이 마음을 품고 있는 듯 하다. 이제 막 삼십대 중반을 넘어선 그의 삶이 품었던 아픔, 기쁨, 슬픔, 행복의 기억들을 가족, 집, 정원, 도시, 해, 달, 자동차 등의 주변에서 쉽게 만날 수 있는 사물들의 모습을 빌어 그 순간 느낌 그대로 종이 위에 고스란히 뱉아 내고 있다.

마주한 구두 두 켤레에는 첫 만남의 설레임이, 등 뒤에 감춘 한 다발의 꽃이 대신하는 고백의 두근거림이 , 무거운 눈꺼풀엔 갓 태어난 아기 때문에 밤이 괴로운 초자 부모의 피곤함이, 아내의 정원이라 불리는 좁은 아파트 베란다 꽃 화분 몇 개에는 미안함 서린 애틋한 아내사랑이 엿보인다. 정글짐 사이를 겁없이 헤쳐가는 아들을 바라보는 아버지의 모습에서 오래 전 떠나신 그 아버지의 아버지에 대한 그리움이 또, 초저녁 퇴근길 도심 빌딩 숲을 물들이는 붉은 노을에 살포시 실눈되어 빛 바랜 추억에 젖어드는 샐러리맨의 마음이 우리 곁으로 조용히 다가선다. 충분히 누리고 있음에도 미처 깨닫지 못한 감춰진 행복을 들추고, 무심하게 놓아버린 작은 기쁨의 순간들을 회상하게 만드는 그림들을 통해 달동네를 달같이 아름다운 동네로 바꿀 수 있는 그만의 상상력에 감동한다.

추억의 순간 포착 같은 김덕기의 그림은 즉흥적인 화면구성을 통해 완성된다. 하지만 여기서 즉흥성은 무작위적이고 무계획적인 것을 의미하는 것이 아니라 마치 황금비율처럼 작가만의 ‘직관’에 의해 주관화된 방식에 따른 것이다. 전시장에서 자신의 그림을 보게 될 익명의 관람객 시선까지도 철저히 고려하여 필획의 방향과 대상물의 위치 등 화면의 모든 요소들은 반드시 있어야 할 자리에 놓여진다. 또한 동양화 태생의 작가답게 시종일관 예찬하고 있는 동양화적 미덕인 ‘여백’은 더 이상 단순히 비워진 공간이 아니라 절제되고 단순화된 화면의 일부로서 때로는 화면의 전부로서 제자리에 놓여진다. 삶의 여유처럼 포진하고 있는 여백을 통해 관람객은 숨 한차례 고르고, 바쁘지 않은 걸음으로 그의 그림 앞을 서성일 수 있는지도 모르겠다.

김덕기는 동양화가이기 보다 화가로 불리우기를 소망한다. 모필의 즉흥적 필력이 두드러지는 전통적인 수묵담채 외에도 목탄, 콘테, 과슈 등의 재료를 붓이나 도구를 사용하지 않고 손으로 그려 표현 에너지와 물성의 직접적인 교감을 통해 생동감 어린 화면을 이뤄낸다. 최근 들어서는 보다 원초적이고 강렬한 색채와 감정 표현이 돋보이는 에밀 놀데 같은 표현주의적 기법의 시도와 화면 속에 자주 등장하는 오브제들을 도자기로 구워 실물화 시키는 작업이 진행중이다. 지금 이 시대를 살아가는 사람들의 감성과 마음을 담아낼 수 있는 새로운 동양화를 찾아가는 작가의 도전과 실험에 기대를 품어본다.

물기하나 없이 퍽퍽한 우리들의 서러운 현실을 잠시 기쁨어린 따뜻한 시선으로 들여 다 볼 수 있게 만들어 주는 것, 우연히 던진 가벼운 시선에도 깊은 행복감을 전해주는 것, 이것이 바로 김덕기 그림이다. 그래서, 그가 아름답다.

[2003년 개인전 카탈로그 전시 서문 / 포스코 갤러리]

Therefore, he is beautiful.

Kim,Yun-Hee (Curator of POSCO Art Museum )

"Why do you draw?", "Because I want to do something that gives energy to people."

In April 2003, I was struggling with unintentional, great or small troubles everyday. So cruel April...full of my uncomfortable feelings I could not feel and understand Kim, Duk-Ki, nor his painting. I tried to get rid of the confusion in my mind by choosing to read good phrases and listening to quiet music in order to see his paintings. But my worries were excessive. Rather it was his painting that released my confusion and uncomfortable feelings. I could dimly remember the reason why someone had called him a "painter who delivers piness" by experiencing the gradual recovery of my peace of mind. I appreciated regaining something that helped my strength through the life story described by Kim, Duk-Ki 's sentimental paintings.

A clear and projective world of bright and cheerful colors, by simple lines and surface is Kim, Duk-Ki's painting. Unlike the traditional Oriental painters who usually use the huge scale of nature with a vigorous touch, he expresses 'our ordinary routine' with lyrical and metaphorical methods. As his life style is not different from mine as a mid 30's father and the head of a family, diligent high-school art teacher and an artist who is surviving in a naturally unblessed land, South Korea, his story is also just an 'ordinary living story.'

Kim, Yong-Suk , a philosophy professor said, "Imagination is not constructing the tall building of the heavens, but changing the slum quarters into the tall building of the heavens. It is the transformation of the poor area into a beautiful place like a moon." If the true value of art is to cause new imagination in appreciators' through work practiced by the unlimited imagination of artists, what would be the imagination of Duk-Ki Kim's art that only has the ordinary living story?

He was deeply impressed by the words of his teacher who said as drawing an onion he draws not only its features but also the hearts of the farmers who raised it. The objects in his work seem like all of them have heart. He expresses his memories of the pain, joy, sadness and happiness felt during his lifetime that has just passed its mid 30's, on paper just as it is and as his feelings are at the moment by borrowing the shapes of things we

could easily see in everyday lives like family, house, garden, city, sun, moon, car, etc.

We could see the throbbing emotion of his first date by looking at the two sets of shoes facing each other, a bouquet of flowers behind his back describes a trembling feeling. The heavy eyelids show us the fatigue of newly a wed couple caused by a newborn baby. A few flowerpots in a narrow veranda in their apartment in his painting convey the feeling of his love and sympathy for his wife. Through a father's gaze, looking at his son playing on a jungle gym in his work, we feel his longing for his father who passed away a long time ago. On the way home, a salary mans sentimentality looking at the red sunset in the middle of buildings, comes to our deeper mind. When we are forgetting to be thankful for our situation, his imagination, which changes the poor area into a beautiful place like a moon, awakens our hidden happiness in every little moment from our lives.

Kim, Duk-Ki's paintings are completed through the impromptu arrangement of the space in his canvas. Here, the 'impromptu-ness is not meant to be unintentional or unplanned, but it is achieved by the artist's subjective convictions from his insight. He even considers the gaze of an anonymous audience when he places every element in his painting such as the direction of brushstrokes and the decision of placement. Space, a virtue of Oriental painting, is not only an empty space, but also placed as a part or as a whole of the moderated and simplified picture. Because of this space, which gives a serenity of mind, the audience could breath in front of his works and enjoy with more relaxed attitude.

Kim Duk-Ki wants to be called a painter rather than an Oriental painter. Besides the traditional coloured ink painting using impromptu brushstrokes, he has achieved his liveliness in his canvas by expressing the energy which comes from using his own hands, not brushes or any tools to deal with various materials such as charcoal or gauche. These days, he spends time experimenting with the ideas of Expressionists such as Emil Nolde, using passionate and strong colours and making ceramics to give a three-dimensional form to his objects in his pictures.His experimental trials will find a new way for Oriental painting to express people's emotions and mind in this generation.

The painting of Kim, Duk-Ki gives us a deep affection to our dry, perhaps, tragic situations. Therefore, he is beautiful.

No.: 3, Read: 395, Vote: 0, 2004/12/30 08:40:47

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.